Saturday 2 February 2013

You know what I miss?


Big garlic. Yep, that’s right. It may sound strange, but anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE garlic. It all started after living in Spain for a while. My husband says that when I came back from Spain, I smelled like a lovely head of garlic. Well, come to think of it, he didn’t use the word lovely. But, anyhow, now he doesn’t know if I smell like garlic or not because I’ve converted him to the wonderful world of garlic. So he probably smells like a lovely head of garlic himself.

But, I digress. The issue at hand is the fact that individual garlic cloves here are about a third of the size of American garlic cloves. I’m sure the miraculous size of American garlic has something to do with some genetically modified, hormone induced farming technique… you know, the kind of thing that gives makers of Food Inc., nightmares and will probably cause our children to be giants or have a third eye. But I’ve gotta give it to the American garlic folks because, third eye or not, big garlic is the best idea ever. Since our garlic here is a third of the size, it means I spend triple the time peeling these infinitely smaller pieces of garlic to get the same good, garlicky taste in my food. The whole affair is quite time consuming, and rather annoying, and I actually think it might be affecting my garlic consumption.

Oh, it’s the little things in life. 

1 comment:

  1. Do they have the big plastic jars of it? The wonderful pre-chopped stuff that's so wonderful--from one garlic fanatic to another ;).

    ReplyDelete