Thursday 20 December 2012

I get Bilbo Baggins

So, I'm starting a blog... not really so people can read it, but more just because in this new season of life I need a place to process. So, perhaps this is more of an online journal. I recently moved. After spending the last decade of my life in rural America, I moved to South Asia. But not just to any ole town in South Asia. I live in a hustling, bustling, impoverished city with an unofficial population of 8 million. In case you were wondering, 8 million is a far cry from rural America. And just in general, South Asia is also a far cry from rural America, ha ha.

Life here is good, but challenging in more ways than one. Every day, I sort of hobble along, trying to understand more, to love more, to really see. One thing has become clear to me in my six months here. I am culturally confused. 90% of the time, I have no clue what is actually going on, what people are doing, or what they are saying. And I'm pretty sure the 90% of the time, my neighbors don't understand what I'm doing either. And yet, here I am, compelled by a deep love for God and by His overwhelming love for us all to be in this place at this time.  

Tonight an English movie was showing at the theater--The  Hobbit. How could we (my husband and I) not go see it? Strangely, I found myself tearing up at the oddest moments mostly because I seriously identified with Bilbo Baggins. Here is this guy on an "adventure" he didn't really bargin for, but somehow couldn't pass up. In the midst of it, he really falls in love with dwarves he's with, but it takes the dwarves nearly the entire three hour movie (which is a long time in movie years) to start to see his heart, to see that he loves them, is for them and will fight with them.  For Bilbo Baggins, that means constantly feeling the awkwardness of being the outsider, having his motivations questioned and mistaken, and even doubting his presence with the dwarves on this adventure. I get it. I feel the same things every day. But, my prayer is that, in God's time, my new friends here will see my heart--not only my heart, but the heart of my God who loves them outlandishly. For now, I just have to deal with the first 2 hours and 57 minutes of the movie. Lord, give me patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment